Winter Skills Weekend (January)
- When 25 Jan 2019 19:00 To 27 Jan 2019 16:00
- Where Lochgoilhead Shelter Park Lochgoilhead Argyll
- PA24 8AQ
- Cost £150 for members of The Scout Association; £260
- Email email@example.com
About the event
This weekend course aims to introduce participants to the personal skills required to walk safely in Scottish winter conditions.
Please note that it is not an award to lead others in winter conditions.
Who is it for?
The course is aimed at those with summer Hillwalking experience who wish to progress into winter Hillwalking.
Scotland’s winter mountains can be hard work, so all participants need to shave a reasonable level of fitness.
Where is it held?
The course will be based at the National Activity Centre in Lochgoilhead. The Centre is close to the “Arrochar Alps” which is the likely venue for the skills teaching sessions. However, Scottish winters are notorious for their ever-changing conditions, and it is possible that we will need to travel further afield to get the best training conditions. Transport will be provided if needed.
- Selection and organisation of personal kit appropriate to winter hill walking
- Personal movement skills on snow, including kicking steps and using the ice axe for walking, self-belay, cutting steps, and self-arrest
- Use of crampons in ascent/descent
- Emergency procedures
- Avalanche awareness and safe route choice
- Core techniques of winter navigation
- Thermals or suitable under clothing
- Insulating layers – at least one mid weight and one warm fleece layer
- Spare fleece/insulated jacket
- Waterproof jacket (with a good hood)*
- Waterproof over-trousers* or salopettes
- Hat & balaclava
- Winter gloves and spares
- Rucksack and liner (50 litre)
- Compass – Silva type 4 recommended
- Vacuum Flask or Water Bottle
- Box or bag for packed lunch
- Survival Bag – Plastic type
- Emergency rations
- Personal first aid kit
- Map case
- Ski goggles (should have double lens to avoid misting up)
- Ice Axe
- Stiff boots, B1 minimum!
Don’t worry if you don’t have anything on the list items marked with an asterix can be provided by the centre and items marked with a ! can be hired from Scouts Scotland retail partners at Tiso Experience Stores for £35 for 3 days.
Accommodation and Food
Accommodation will be shared with the others on your course, our lodges have bedding provided but you will need to bring your wash kit and a towel.
Breakfast, Dinner and pack lunches will be provided by our fantastic catering team. If you have any allergies then let us know at the time of booking.
If you can't make this course, we're also running the same course on 8-10 March.